Wednesday, April 02, 2008

No Justice

None what-so-ever. Not exactly a surprise, is it? And what makes me even crazier than my indignation at my personal situation is the treatment I witnessed of many other poor (usually literally) people who were just as unlucky - as opposed to unlawful. Maybe I'll tell a few of their stories when I've calmed down a bit more. But almost the whole thing was a racket - legalized extortion - with the smarmy judge playing good guy and the smug contemptuous/contemptible cops just being themselves. And, dear Lord, the money that must be involved! In the half an hour that I observed, 10 people at least got stuck paying $140 each - and that was thanks to the judge's "generosity". When I went to the cashier's window in the lobby, there must have been a hundred new people waiting to go into the court room - and it was only 9:00 am. What a revenue stream for a corrupt, corrupt, perverted system! Hard to say whether my head or my heart hurts worse, but thank God for cats and "kittens"...

5 Comments:

Blogger ThePoliticalCat said...

Oh, Lizzy, dear, you're so right. It is just a way of wringing the widow's mite from her pocket. I'm so sorry. We wished you well all day, and now we send comforting thoughts and a micropurr from Gojira Helen Wheels (the others all ran out to freeze in the mingy cold. Silly kittehs!).

Surround yourself with kitties. It's the only way to keep on.

9:39 PM  
Blogger Lizzy said...

Hi, PC - Thank you for the support, dear, tonight and all along... And bless your darlings! I'm going off right now to kiss whomever I can catch (whoever? msword doesn't seem to care)...

9:58 PM  
Blogger Sandy-LA 90034 said...

Hi, Lizzy!

Sorry justice did not prevail for you. I must have missed the post or comment that you made about how this happened. Sounds like you and others came to grief in some sort of "sting.?"

Last week I got TOWED and had to pay $200 to ransom my car back. There was a very tiny sign that said "no parking - tow away zone" and I just didn't see it - in a place were others were parked (they got towed, too!). The place was one I can normally park in ALL the time. But that day they did two hours worth of work on some street maintenance and went home. Grrrrr!

I think you were right to contest it. Sometimes the officers are unable to show up to court and you get off free.

So sorry!

2:39 AM  
Blogger ThePoliticalCat said...

I hope they were all caught and serially kissed. There is nothing so comforting as the warm purr of a soft cat snuggled up to one.

Besides, they deserve many kisses for all their naughty tricks lately.

3:09 AM  
Blogger Lizzy said...

Oh, Sandy! That is just so rotten! And yes, it's all a a sting. This particular city is actually somewhat infamous for this, and I am usually quite cautious when driving there. The night I got my ticket, I was coming from the er - very sick - and there was a blizzard going on - terrible visibility and 6 inches of very icy snow on the ground. I was surprised by a yellow light turning red, and just went through, rather than try to break - at least 2 other cars did exactly the same thing. I went to court to plead "responsible with explanation" - saying that I made the prudent decision under the circumstances. But when the whole point is to gouge money out of helpless people, logic doesn't come into it. Grrr... 1 woman had been stopped for a dirty license plate - she lost a day's work as well as whatever they fined her - probably $140! Oh, I'd better stop - I'm seeing red again. $200! Plus all the stress! Outrageous.

8:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home