Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Long Weird Day

First it was long - not the longest ever, by any means, but way long enough. Second, well, it was busy and hot, although no way as hot as last week... Third, we - i.e., the College - got hacked - or something - no end of problems with email, courseware, etc. And then I had to go and lose my peace sign - when I came in tonight the chain was still draped around my neck, but the charm was gone. Drat. I'm still hoping it will turn up in my car or office or driveway or. But if not I'll probably take it as an omen, and be even more depressed than I already am. So, the heck with all that, let's talk cats and "kittens" and - thx for asking, TPC - the porch. They poured the slab yesterday, and asked me if I wanted it "broomed" or not. Broomed? (I said Yes, in the end.) Today as I left for work they were putting on the stone facing - and it was pretty! It was dark when I got home tonight, so I don't know if they finished or not, but, especially since I had no idea what to expect, I was totally surprised and delighted by what I've seen so far. Cats and "kittens" this morning were kind of getting used to the porch workers - after initially disappearing, some of them crept back to watch - Banshee and Lucy from the dining room table, and Cloud from the little table by the window....

3 Comments:

Blogger ThePoliticalCat said...

Oh, poor dear Lizzy, my friend. I am sending good "charm finding" vibes in your general direction. Cats and "kittens" are such a welcome relief in bad times. A snorgle or 922 will help.

PS: It may be an omen that you no longer need the physical charm because you have distilled into yourself all that is good, sweet, and peaceful. Take that, universe!

1:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

By coincidence, I just (two days ago) lost my Obama button, and I know you can't really compare that to a charm, but for me, I'm surrounded by Republicans, all my family are Republicans, and somehow that button over the last few months, it starts to symbolize something you believe in but also something you believe about yourself, it started to buck me up when I would look at it as I'd grab my purse in the morning and I would think OK, at least for one more day, just...keep going. So then when you lose something like that it's hard not to read something into it.

Here is a possibility: Someone found your peace sign, someone who needed to find it now, someone who isn't as clear as you are about the significance of the idea. And they picked it up and their fingers closed around it and they decided to keep it and continue thinking about it. We can hope, anyway.

(Please don't be depressed, Lizzy.)

8:30 PM  
Blogger Lizzy said...

Oh! You are both so sweet and so wise! I was very fond of my sparkly peace sign, but I love the idea of someone finding it and loving it as much as I did - may it be so! Thank you again, so much - how cool is this? Internet based perspective and comfort and... peace of mind! You are wonderful!!

8:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home