Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Computer Blogging

(More tiny violins!) My poor old recently repaired desktop died again, and this weekend I finally had a chance to take it in to the shop... Last night there was a message - you can come pick up your computer, or such-like. So, this am, I did! I was given to understand that some repairs had been done to my perhaps power-outage damaged hard drive - $$. Just glad it waqsn't more, I lugged it home and plugged everything back in and got... nada. So I called, and eventually it was suggersted that the problem was in the monitor - so bring them both in. That was when I looked at the receipt, which really only said "ran checkdisk, windows started". Hmm. Sounded like they couldn't find anything wrong with the cpu. Hmm. So when I took it all in and the monitor clearly didn't work, I asked why they didn't tell me there was nothng wrong with the computer to start with. Oh, there was, and the same thing that damaged the hd also fried your monitor. So I bought a used monitor for $$$, on top of the first $$. I haven't had a chance to reassemble since, but, what do smart people think - was I screwed or not?

1 Comments:

Blogger ThePoliticalCat said...

Yes. Do you have a surge protector? That will prevent HD frying in future. Does it look like they took the desktop box apart? chkdsk is a simple DOS utility that just looks at your hard drive, and if Win started without a problem, obviously the HD wasn't fried.

Not that I'm a smart person, on the other hand. But I have taken Win boxes apart (intel boxes, really) on occasion. What you need is a bright teenaged geek who is willing to take that box apart when needed, for free (or baked goods).

11:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home